Friday, June 30, 2006

My happy book


Years ago (about 13 or so) I came across a book called "14,000 Things to be Happy About". I thought "wow, that's a lot of stuff", and although at the time I was quite a cynical young thing, for some reason I bought the book. It is basically a list that this person kept of all the things she had to be happy about. The more I read the more I thought what a great idea it would be to have my own "Happy book." So I went out and bought a small, fat, spiral bound notebook, and began my list. I must admit, I haven't really been consistent in my listing. I usually pick it up and flip through it when I need a little pick me up, or when I am feeling sorry for myself. And when I do, I always end up adding a couple of pages to the list. I find that I have several items listed more than once, like "a baby's laugh," "good deals", and "finished projects." And several items on my list conjure up quite vivid memories, which is fun because I get to relive those happy times. Of course, I occasionally run across something like "bulgey ass", and wonder what in the world that means. My most recent entries include "Drake", "winning mad money", and "beating the hell out of an alarm clock that someone set too early." (I giggle every time I think about that.) My happy book has been through a lot with me. I had it through college, I took it with me on my mission, I've kept it on my headboard all through my married years. It had gotten quite worn out. Last night I looked at it and thought, "I could alter this, that would make me happy." So the happy book got a makeover and it did make me happy. (Yes, I wrote "altered notebooks" in my happy book.) I hope to have it for years to come. Some day, I hope to fill it completely with all the things that make me happy.

6 Comments:

At June 30, 2006 8:32 PM, Blogger Tracey Lee said...

HEE hEE! I'm seriously laughing about the alarm clock.

What a fun book!

 
At July 01, 2006 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is a wonderful idea. It surely would remind you of all your blessings when you're not feeling right with the world.

 
At July 01, 2006 1:39 PM, Blogger dtl said...

How fun! You gave me a copy of that book for fathers day, or birthday or something. Any way it has been fun and I have used a lot of hightlighter to mark it up, but I have never thought of making my own. Alas I don't have time anyway.
Thanks.

 
At July 02, 2006 2:05 PM, Blogger Lainey said...

How cute is that? It was a good idea to alter it! And hey, it's so cute that it makes me happy, can you add that to the list? :)

 
At July 04, 2006 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROTFL about the alarm clock! Every time I think about that I giggle!

And I LOVE your book! I have done the same thing, but now i think I need an altered one!

 
At July 11, 2006 7:19 PM, Blogger Marcianne said...

Awwwww...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home